Friday, January 17, 2014

Movie Review: Frozen

*Spoilers ahead. You have been warned*

Frozen, a movie made by Disney, is most likely widely known to everyone. The movie is the 53rd animated film produced by the company. It is loosely based off The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen. Recently it has won a Golden Globe award for best animated film for this year.

The story revolves around two sisters, Elsa and Anna. Elsa, the oldest sister, has the ability to create ice and snow. Growing up, she and Anna play with Elsa's powers and get along. One day Elsa accidentally hurts Anna with her powers. In order to make sure Anna is fine, her memories of her sister's powers are erased. Elsa distances herself from her sister and parents in fear of hurting someone else. When they're older, Elsa reveals her powers to everyone by accident and runs away in fear. Anna decides that it is her duty to bring her sister back and get her to realize that no one fears her. Along her adventure she meets Kristoff and his reindeer, Sven as well as a talking snowman, Olaf.

The movie idea was actually thought up as early as the late 1990s but had been scrapped in 2002. The movie has been thought up and scrapped many times until it was commissioned in 2011. The original fairy tale is much darker than the one Disney made. The Frozen setting was around Norway and had a few "nods" to previous Disney made films. A rather difficult surprise to notice is that Rapunzel and Eugen, from Tangled, are seen in the movie entering Arendelle.

I enjoyed the movie very much considering I haven't really seen many Disney movies that I like. The songs are catchy that I find myself humming them. I found the story a nice breather from the fact that it was more set on family/sisters rather than "true love." I found myself laughing a lot and generally finding myself lost in the details from the animation.

There was only one thing that bothered me, though. The story did not go in depth on Kristoff's past. I could never wrap my mind around the fact that he didn't seem to have parents or that he was "kidnapped" by trolls without having people wondering where he went. I would like to know more but I guess the movie didn't have time for that.

Go see Frozen if you like Disney, singing, want a laugh or are just curious. If you aren't any of these, I still suggest seeing the movie. It has been a long time since I enjoyed a movie at the theaters. Some of you might think you're too old to like Disney, but I have to disagree. I still love Disney films and the adults at the theater enjoyed it just as much as the children.

1 comment:

  1. I heard about Frozen from a lot of my friends. They kept talking about how funny it was and this post got me really curious :). Maybe I should give this movie a chance.

    ReplyDelete